The science-oriented-youth unit at IOLR aims to introduce young people to science in general, and marine science in particular. The unit conducts seminars for schools, nature clubs and other groups (families, summer camps, seniors etc.), and operates throughout the school year, and the summer break.
The seminars include frontal presentations, lab and field experiments, and focus on experiential learning through practical work, in small groups of up to ten participants per instructor, allowing ample attention for each.
The unit's team is comprised of IOLR research staff, and graduate students who do research in oceanography and biotechnology.
The seminars are given in Hebrew, Arabic and English.
In the past year 6,500 young people took part in the unit's activities.
The unit offers seminars in:
- Rocky shore ecology (grades 1-12 and outside groups)
- Bio-Research excursion (grades 11-12)
- Bio-Research experiments (grades 11-12)
- Marine Environment Quality (grades 7-8)
- Chemistry and the Environment (grades 7-12)
- Marine Bio-Technology (grades 8-12)
- Chemistry and industry – producing biodiesel from vegetable oil (grades 10-12)
- The human genome project and its applications (grades 9-12)
- Molecular biology 1 (grades 10-12)
- Molecular biology 2 (grades 11-12)
- Biotech project (grade 11)
- Get to know IOLR tour (grades 11-12 and outside groups)
For details and registration contact:
Rasha Haj : firstname.lastname@example.org
© All rights reserved to Israel Oceanographic & Limnological Research Ltd